The Angler is an NPC introduced in the 1.2.4 patch. He is located in the Ocean Biome, and can be found sleeping on the beach, or sleeping in the water, and must be "rescued" [right-clicked on (B or circle if on Xbox/3DS or Playstation, respectively)] similarly to the Stylist, Mechanic, Goblin Tinkerer, and Wizard. He does not sell anything, but will give out Fishing-based Quests. He will move into standard NPC housing.
After finishing a quest:
Clicking "quest" after already finishing a quest:
During a blood moon:
|Note: Upon adding a new name, make sure you add it in alphabetical (ABC) order.
The angler uses a Frost Daggerfish for self-defense.
- The Angler will never give quests that require the player to catch fish from the Crimson in a Corruption world or vice versa.
- The Quest completed count is character specific, meaning you are able to accumulate the number of quests required for an item given as a reward, from completing them on multiple worlds.
- He may be a young boy due to his smaller size, and the nature of some of his quotes.
- Instead of saying "[NPC's name] was slain," it will say "[Angler's Name] has left," and the Angler disappears into smoke if you see his death. This is because the character is a child, which is often seen as too brutal, especially by ratings and censorship agencies such as the ESRB. For example, the ESRB classifies the killing of a child as "intense violence", which would result in the game being rated Adults Only, which would drastically reduce the game's sales according to their ratings system.
- The Angler seems to give a lot of information about the biology of certain Terraria mobs, a topic that has never been mentioned before in Terraria. For example, he refers to Pixies as sometimes being born with too many wings, and claims that Wyverns are born as tadpoles, making them an extremely large, airborne species of amphibian.
- Very rarely, the Angler may walk out of the map before you "rescue" him, making him unobtainable.
- In a multiplayer game, his quote will always be "(ANGLER-1)" This makes it impossible for 2 or more people to catch the same quest fish in the same game.
- When the Angler is attacked while sleeping, he will glide along the ground with no friction.
- You can earn achievements by completing his quests.
- He will always award money for completing quests.
- You now get fishing rewards for every 5 quests completed, instead of the previous 10.
- Added to the game.