The Blood Moon is an event in Terraria which has a 1/9 (11.11%) chance of occurring at dusk and will continue until dawn, on any world that has player with 120 Health Points or more, except during a New Moon. The event will begin with the message “The Blood Moon is rising…” being displayed and the music will be changed to the song “Eerie”. Any water and current rain will gain a red color and the land will glow with a reddish-pink hue.
During this event the enemy spawn rate on the surface will double, NPCs ability to reduce the spawn rate is disabled and the maximum number of enemies that may spawn is increased. Zombies will be able open doors, some exclusive monsters may spawn and a few NPCs will sell items that can only be acquired during a Blood Moon.
Enemies exclusive to The Blood Moon:
|The Groom||200||Rare||Top Hat|
|The Bride||200||Rare||Wedding Veil, Wedding Dress|
|Blood Zombie||75 / 150||Common||Money Trough, Shark Tooth Necklace|
|Drippler||50||Common||Money Trough, Shark Tooth Necklace|
|Corrupt Bunny||70||Uncommon||Bunny Hood, Suspicious Looking Egg|
|Clown (Hard Mode)||400||Uncommon||Trifold Map, 1-4 Bananarang|
A few NPCs will only sell some items during The Blood Moon:
- Dryad will sell Vile Powder, Corrupt Seeds, and the Sparkly Wings in mobile only.
- Merchant will sell Throwing Knives.
- Arms Dealer will sell Silver Bullets.
- Clothier will sell the Mime Mask.
- Painter will sell the Evil Presence.
- Steampunker will sell the Purple Solution or Red Solution depending on your world.
The Blood Moon can be a very dangerous event for a new or inexperienced player, therefore precautionary measures should be taken. There are many ways of protecting oneself and the NPCs from the dangers of this event:
- Go underground below 0’ to avoid the increased spawn rate and event specific enemies. To avoid conflict entirely, keeping to a built house would be best. You must keep in mind that Zombies will open doors, so placing a block on either side of the door will keep them out. Furthermore, you can place a torch or a platform on the inside of the door keeping the door from opening inward while still allowing you to escape if needed. Note that getting back into the house is hindered. You can also dig a 2x2 block hole in front of the door or simply build your house in the air with similar results. Building in the sky carries an extra benefit of protection from Wraiths in Hard Mode.
- Another option is to build a door using Active/Inactive Stone Blocks or Actuators with any block and wire them to a Pressure Plate that is triggered by players only. It must be noted that this type of door does not count as a door for an NPC house. This door is effective against most enemies except ones which may pass through walls.
- With an increased spawn rate, the Blood Moon can be a great source of income, equipment and materials for those who wish to fight. Other options for collecting loot with little or no risk can come in the form of player made Traps, such as a lava trap or dart trap. There are many ways to build Traps depending on materials available.
- A Blood Moon is the only time that Deathweed will bloom and drop Deathweed Seeds.
- It is possible to have a Blood Moon spawn during a Full Moon. In Hard Mode this will cause many Werewolves to spawn which can be an effective way to farm the Moon Charm.
- It is possible to have multiple Blood Moons occur consecutively due to the equal chance of one occurring on any given night with the exception of the New Moon.
- Corrupt Bunnies and many other creatures can be farmed easily during a Blood Moon.
- During a Blood Moon NPCs will display a unique dialog and with female NPCs appearing to be in a bad mood with the exception of the Party Girl.
- "You can tell a Blood Moon is out when the sky turns red. There's something about it that causes monsters to swarm."
- "Hey, buddy, do you know where any deathweed is? Oh, no reason; just wondering, is all."
- "If you were to look up right now, you'd see that the moon is red."
- "Am I about to DIE!?"
- "Hey, this house is secure, right? Right? <Player Name>?"
- "Not even a Blood Moon can stop capitalism. Let's do some business."
- "Keep your eye on the prize, buy a lens!"
- "Oh great, I can hear [Name of Mechanic] and [Name of Nurse] arguing from here. (only if Mechanic and Nurse are present.)
- "I've got something for those zombies, alright!"
- "There was a bomb sitting right here, now I can't seem to find it..."
- "Hey, have you seen a Clown around?"
- "Dude, is it just me or is there like a million zombies out tonight?"
- "I sell what I want, alright! If you don't like it, too bad."
- "I don't want you to buy my stuff, I want you to want to buy my stuff, ok?"
- "Why do you have to be so confrontational during a time like this?"
- Arms Dealer
- "I love nights like tonight. There's never a shortage of things to kill!"
- "Man, it's a good night not to talk to anybody, don't you think, <Player Name>?"
- "... We have a problem! It's a Blood Moon out there!"
- "Hurry up and stop bleeding."
- "What's that supposed to mean?!"
- "I don't think I like your tone."
- "Oh, let me guess. Didn't buy enough wire. Idiot."
- "I don't appreciate the way you're looking at me. I am WORKING right now."
- "Just-could you just..Please? Ok? Ok. Ugh."
- "All I want is for the switch to make the... What?!"
- "Tipping IS optional, but remember I have access to scissors and your head."
- "This is a cut-throat razor by the way."
- "You better stay outta my hair tonight, hun. I just sharpened my scissors, and i'm looking for an excuse to use them!"
- The Blood Moon event may be based on a real-world event, known as a Lunar Eclipse. During the eclipse, the Moon can sometimes gain a reddish tint to it. This also goes hand-in-hand with both the real life and other Terraria event, known as a Solar Eclipse.
- The Blood Moon also may be based on one of the "Seven Signs of the Apocalypse" from the Bible, in which it states that "...on the 6th sign the moon will arise, showing the color of blood, bringing with it the demons that prowled the Earth but, were sealed away. Then they will feast on those who doubted...".
- When the Blood Moon rises, your pet worm (if you summoned it) will shout, "Incoming!"
- The "Eerie" song soundtrack that plays during a Blood Moon is also used in the close vicinity of a Meteorite.
- Rain now turns blood-red during a Blood Moon.
- Water now turns blood-red during a Blood Moon.
- The chance of a Blood Moon occurring on a random night was decreased from 1/7 to 1/9.
- Added to the game.