|Rarity||Tier 0 (White)|
|Found In||All Biomes|
|Crafted With|| 8 Wood|
2 Iron Bars
|Crafted At||Work Bench|
The Chest is a piece of Furniture that can be placed and used for public storage. They can hold a maximum of 20 stacks of items at one time. You can collect Chests with a standard hammer or by mining out the block it is sitting on, however if the Chest has any items in it, it is unbreakable. Chests can be placed on Wood Platforms. Chests can be found in all Biomes.Terraria - Chest Farming(00:39)
But be careful! Chests aren't always what you think they are. You might find a chest that is trying to kill you! (See Mimic).
- In earlier versions, 3 Iron Bars were required for crafting.
- As of 1.0.1, The Barrel only takes 1 Iron Bar to craft, making it more cost effective to build than a Chest.
- There is a cap of 1000 Chests that can be in a World. This includes Gold and Shadow Chests.
- There are only two places Chests cannot spawn, in Lava and inside blocks.
- When swinging a 'Very Slow Speed' Sword like Fiery Greatsword and opening a Chest before the swing ends with autopause on you won't be able to obtain the first item in the Chest.
- Since characters keep their inventory through worlds, chests can be used to give new characters high level weapons or other objects.
- Chests can be seen when using a Spelunker Potion, making finding chests in caves very easy.
- Chests with an item in them and the ground under them cannot be destroyed, but if a chest with an item is placed on an active stone block, toggling the blocks will make it rain 3 - 5 chests (version 1.1.2). The chest will remain suspended in midair on an inactive stone block; this is probably the only way to have a chest that you can't stand on.
- Empty or not, when placed on them chests can hold up two pieces of sand or silt until the chest is removed.
If you place a chest on Ice spawned by the Ice Rod, place anything in it and leave and reenter the world, you can duplicate any Chest endlessly.
|Items Requiring Iron|
|Tools||Grappling Hook · Iron Axe · Iron Hammer · Iron Pickaxe|
|Armor||Iron Helmet · Iron Chainmail · Iron Greaves|
|Furniture||Bathtub · Chest · Cooking Pot · Lamp Post · Toilet · Barrel · Trash Can|
|Weapons||Iron Bow · Iron Broadsword · Iron Shortsword · Flamethrower|
|Crafting Stations||Iron Anvil · Sawmill|
|Other||Iron Bar · Iron Chain · Empty Bucket · Inlet Pump Outlet Pump · Mechanical Eye · Mechanical Skull · Mechanical Worm|