|Quality||Tier 0 (White)|
|Found In||All Biomes|
|Crafted With|| 8 Wood|
2 Iron Bars/Lead Bars
|Crafted At||Work Bench|
A Chest is a piece of Furniture that can be placed and used for public storage. They can hold a maximum of 40 stacks of items at one time. You can collect empty Chests with a standard pickaxe , while Chests with any items in them are completely unbreakable. Chests can be placed on Wood Platforms. Chests can be found in most Biomes.Terraria - Chest Farming(00:39)
But be careful! If you are in Hard Mode, chests aren't always what you think they are. You might find a chest that is trying to kill you! (See Mimic).
- Blocks beneath a chest cannot be mined; thus, the player also cannot collect chests by mining the blocks under them.
- Chests can be seen when using a Spelunker Potion, making finding chests in caves very easy.
- There are only three places Chests cannot spawn, in Lava, in mid-air and inside blocks.
- Since characters keep their inventory through worlds, chests can be used to give new characters high level weapons or other objects.
- Empty or not, a chest that is placed on sand or silt will prevent those blocks from falling until it is removed.
- As of 1.0.1, The Barrel only takes 1 Iron Bar to craft, making it more cost effective to build than a Chest.
- As of 1.2, the Chest requires a pickaxe instead of the previously required hammer. As of 1.2 it is also more profitable than the barrel, since it's double the size.
- As of 1.2.3, you can rename a chest and easily find a specific chest by hover over it.
- In earlier versions, 3 Iron Bars were required for crafting.
- There is a cap of 1000 Chests that can be in a World. This includes Gold and Shadow Chests.
- If you place a chest on Ice spawned by the Ice Rod, place anything in it and leave and reenter the world, you can duplicate any Chest endlessly.
- When swinging a 'Very Slow Speed' Sword like Fiery Greatsword and opening a Chest before the swing ends with autopause on you won't be able to obtain the first item in the Chest.
- Chests with an item in them and the ground under them cannot be destroyed, but if a chest with an item is placed on an Active Stone Block, toggling the blocks will make it rain 3 - 5 chests (version 1.1.2). The chest will remain suspended in midair on an Inactive Stone Block; this is probably the only way to have a chest that you can't stand on. This bug was fixed in 1.2
- On Mobile, sometimes if armor is moved from a chest directly onto the player, the armor disappears completely. (Android v1.02)
- Chests can now be renamed.
- Capacity increased from 20 to 40, Ice, Water, Hallowed, Dungeon and Crimson Chest added.
|Items Requiring Iron|
|Tools||Grappling Hook · Iron Axe · Iron Hammer · Iron Pickaxe|
|Armor||Iron Helmet · Iron Chainmail · Iron Greaves|
|Furniture||Bathtub · Chest · Cooking Pot · Lamp Post · Toilet · Barrel · Trash Can · Iron Door|
|Weapons||Iron Bow · Iron Broadsword · Iron Shortsword · Flamethrower|
|Crafting Stations||Iron Anvil · Sawmill|
|Other||Iron Bar · Iron Chain · Empty Bucket · Inlet Pump Outlet Pump · Mechanical Eye · Mechanical Skull · Mechanical Worm|