The Clothier is a NPC who sells Vanity Items to the player. One of the things he says when you talk to him is "Thanks again for freeing me from my curse. Felt like something jumped up and bit me." This confirms that he is the Old Man from the dungeon. He will come to town after Skeletron is defeated, and only if there is an empty Home. He drops the Red Hat upon death, and this is the only way to obtain it.
After update 1.2 if he is killed at Night while the player has a Clothier Voodoo Doll equipped, Skeletron will be summoned. Also as of 1.2 he no longer sells Black Dye. This is now crafted at a Dye Vat from Black Ink.Terraria Clothier & His Vanity Items(02:25)
- The section of the quote: "Felt like something jumped up and bit me" is also from Forrest Gump.
- If you talk to him before freeing the mechanic from the dungeon, he might say "I keep having vague memories of tying up a woman ant throwing her in a dungeon", implying he is the one that captured her.
- If talked to while wearing his Red Hat, he only says "That Red Hat of yours looks familiar..." and occasionally "t'were I were younger, I would ask (Nurse's name) out. I used to be quite the lady killer." During blood moons, he still says "(player name)...we have a problem! It's a blood moon out there!"
- Before the 1.0.5 patch, the Clothier sold the Plumber's Shirt and Plumber's Pants rather than the Familiar Clothes.
- If you look at his face after he dies, you will notice that his eyes turn red.
- As the "Old Man" NPC, he has red eyes, but as the Clothier, he has blue eyes. This is likely a result of him being freed from his curse.
- It is possible to have both your Merchant and Clothier named Alfred, but this is very uncommon.
- If you look closely, The Clothier is the tallest of all NPCs.
- Many of the Clothier's quotes seem to be references to Tom Hank's movies, e.g. Forrest Gump, A League of Their Own, Castaway, and The Ladykillers.
- Now sells Guy Fawkes Mask
- Can now be sacrificed to summon Skeletron
- No longer sells Black Dye
- Multiple new Vanity Items for sale at different phases of the Moon
- Now gets a random name upon spawning.
- Now sells clown attire or clown clothes after killing a clown during the blood moon.
- Added to the game.
|Dryad||Dye Trader||Goblin Tinkerer||Guide|
|Painter||Party Girl||Pirate||Santa Claus|