Coins are the currency of Terraria. They despawn after 12 minutes.
- Platinum coins now stack to 999.
Players can obtain coins by killing monsters, destroying pots, finding them in chests or selling items to Vendors. With coins you can purchase items from the Vendors. A stack of up to 100 of any single type of coin takes up one inventory slot. However, there are reserved slots for coins, on the far right side of the inventory that may be used instead.
Coins come in different types. They can be crafted to and from other coin types without loss of value. It takes 100 coins to upgrade, and you get 100 coins of lesser value when one is "broken" or downgraded.
|Copper||- worth 1 copper coin|
|Silver||- worth 100 copper coins|
|Gold||- worth 100 silver coins (10,000 copper)|
|Platinum||- worth 100 gold coins (1,000,000 copper) (10,000 silver)|
Platinum is the most valuable coin available. When Platinum coins are being spent, they downgrade to Gold Coins.
Upon death (in Softcore Mode), half of all the stacks you have of coins in your inventory will be dropped (rounded up if the number is odd). For example, if you have 1 Gold coin in one stack, you will drop it, but if you have 12 coins you will drop 6. You will still drop half of your coins if you commit suicide with self-thrown explosives.
Coins have their own storage slot but can also be stored in the normal inventory like anything else. Coins can be stored in a Chest, Safe, Piggy Bank, Barrel and any other form of storage. Coins placed in any stationary container will not be lost when you die. It is advisable to place all your coins in a Chest, Safe or Piggy Bank every time you return to your home or before fighting a boss.
You can farm coins by linking active stone blocks to an electric current (e.g lever or 1 second timer ) and placing any kind of chest with anything inside the chest and sell the chests to the Merchant for gold and silver coins.
- It was possible to keep one stack of coins on death by "holding" it with your mouse arrow right before you die, but as of the patch 1.1.1, mouse items drop normally.
- You may also avoid losing coins on death by adding them to your trash and taking it out afterwards.
- In the IOS version, if you take out coins from a chest, say 70 silver coins, and you have 30 silver coins, the stack turns into 100 and will not convert. This can be fixed by placing one coin into your hand, drop it out and then collect it.
- On the Console Version of Terraria, after obtaining more than 100 platinum coins, they will convert into a Fallen Star. Those playing on the console version are advised to keep stacks of platinum at no higher than 99, and should take caution when quick-stacking coins into chests. It is uncertain if this is intentional or if this is a bug.