Debuffs are a feature first introduced in patch 1.0.6. Debuffs bestow negative effects upon their bearers, and unlike Buffs, cannot be removed by right-clicking on their icons. There are several accessories which provide immunity to a single Debuff, which build into the Ankh Charm, giving immunity to many debuffs. Some Monsters can be infected with certain debuffs, including Confused, Cursed Inferno, On Fire! and Poisoned.
Debuffs will naturally wear off after a short period of time, though some may last up to a few minutes. The Nurse can cure debuffs at the cost of 7 50 per debuff.
In 1.2, many new Accessories were added which prevent one specific debuff each, and can be combined at a Tinkerer's Workshop to create versions that give immunity to all the debuffs of their components.
|Icon||Name||Inflicted By||Tooltip||Duration||Effect||Prevented by|
|Cannot regenerate life.||45 seconds||Cuts natural health regeneration.||Adhesive Bandage|
|Broken Armor||Defense is cut in half.||2 minutes||-50% defense||Armor Polish|
|Confused||Movement is reversed.||7 seconds||Player movement is temporarily reversed.|
Confused monsters will flee.
|Cursed||Cannot use any items.||4 seconds||Prevents the player from using items.||Nazar|
|Losing fast life.||7 seconds|| -4 health per second||None|
|Darkness||Decreased light vision.||15 seconds||Drastically decreases the player's vision.||Blindfold|
Flower of Frost
|It's either really hot or really cold. Either way it REALLY hurts.|| -6 health per second|
Negates health regeneration
|Horrified||Wall of Flesh||You have seen something nasty, there is no escape.||While fighting the Wall of Flesh.||Causes the player to die if they leave the underworld.||None|
|Slowly losing life.||3-7 seconds||-4 health per second|
|Slowly losing life.||7-10 seconds||-2 health per second||Bezoar|
|Potion Sickness||Consuming certain healing items ||Cannot consume anymore healing items.||60 seconds||Prevents the player from consuming healing items||Philosopher's Stone|
(reduces time to 45)
|Cannot use items that require mana.||7 seconds||Prevents the player from casting any spells||Megaphone|
|Movement speed is reduced.||15 seconds||-50% horizontal movement speed ||Fast Clock|
|The Tongue||Wall of Flesh||You are being sucked into the mouth.||While being dragged by the Wall of Flesh||Wall of Flesh pulls the player in front of itself|
Unable to move or use items
|Tipsy||Ale||Increased melee abilities, lowered defense||2 minutes|| -2 defense|
+2% melee critical hit chance
+10% melee attack speed
+10% melee damage
|Weak||Physical abilities are decreased||5 minutes|| -4 defense|
-5% melee damage
-5% melee attack speed
-10% movement speed
|Suffocation||Being encased in a falling block (Sand, Silt, Slush)||Losing life.||Until free from blocks.||-10 health per second||None|
Spiked Ice Slime Ice Golem
|Your movement speed has been reduced.||
45 with Ice Golem
|-50% horizontal movement speed ||None|
|Frozen||Spiked Ice Slime|
|Frozen in place.||2 seconds||Encases the player in ice, rendering them helpless.||None|
|Reduced defense.||15 seconds||Reduces players current defense by 20.||None|
|Venom||Black Recluse||Losing life.||8 seconds||-4 health per second||None|
|Blackout||Ragged Caster||Enhanced Blindness.||4 seconds||Screen is almost reduced to complete darkness.||None|
|Burning||Hellstone, Meteorite Ore, Hellstone Brick||Losing life and slowed speed||Stepping off fire block||-10 health per second and -50% movement speed||Obsidian Skull|
|Chaos State||Rod of Discord||Using the Rod of Discord will take life||10 seconds||-20% health on each use when debuff is added.||None|
|Water Candle||Water Candle||Increased Monster Spawn Rate||Until out of range of Candle||Enemy Spawn rate increased||None|
- ↑ The following monsters can inflict the On Fire! debuff: Fire Imp (Burning Sphere), Lava Slime, Meteor Head, Skeleton Archer (Flaming Arrows)
- ↑ The following weapons can inflict the On Fire! debuff: Fiery Greatsword, Flamarang, Flamelash, Flamethrower, Flaming Arrow, Flower of Fire, Molten Fury, Molten Hamaxe, Molten Pickaxe, Sunfury
- ↑ These items will only give protection against the On Fire! debuff inflicted by Lava, as well as lava damage. They will not protect against the debuff from other sources.
- ↑ The following weapons can inflict the Poisoned debuff: Blade of Grass, Poisoned Knife, Thorn Chakram, Tonbogiri.
- ↑ The following healing items will inflict the Potion Sickness debuff: Bottled Water, Glowing Mushroom, Goldfish, Greater Healing Potion, Healing Potion, Lesser Healing Potion, Lesser Restoration Potion, Mushroom, Restoration Potion
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Debuff nullified by running
- When curing the Potion Sickness debuff via the Nurse, the icon disappears but the actual effects of the debuff are not removed.
- The Bleeding effect can be overridden by the Campfire effect.
- While under the Frozen effect, player's social clothes might disappear. [Needs Confirmation]
- Added Chaos State
- Debuffs now properly stack on monsters in multiplayer
- Water Candle now provides a visible debuff
- Added Chilled, Frozen, Ichor, Venom and Blackout debuffs.
- Broken Armor debuff now lasts for 2 minutes, down from 5.
- Added to the game.