The Desert biome has a 1/10 chance to spawn a Desert Pyramid.
In Hardmode, Pearlsand and Crimsand/Ebonsand will appear when The Hallow, The Crimson or The Corruption spread into a desert. These blocks spread Hallow/Crimson/Corruption to other sand blocks, eventually creating converted biomes such as a Hallowed or a Corrupt/Crimson Desert. The two Hardmode deserts are different in several ways from a normal desert:
- The background changes.
- Light or Dark Mummies spawn in the Hallowed and the Corrupt/Crimson Desert, respectively.
- Stylized Cacti grow, while not changing in function (they still drop the Cactus item when destroyed).
- Sandstorm weather occurrence added, with exclusive enemies and new soundtrack.
- Underground Desert added.
- Desert has its own music track.
- Cacti no longer cause knockback making running through a desert less of a hassle.
- Deserts now spawn slightly further away from spawn.
- Surface Jungles have been enlarged and will override deserts. (requires new world)
- Sand no longer spawns within a certain distance of a spawn location. This should remove the chance of spawning in a desert with no wood to use.
- Added to the game.