This article is in need of cleanup, and may not live up to the quality standards of the Terraria Wiki. You can help by editing it, or by bringing concerns of an immediate nature to the Administrator's Noticeboard.
The user who added this template to this page left the following explanation:
The Dungeon is an enormous building found close to the edge of the world opposite of the Jungle, spanning many layers deep, usually all the way to The Underworld. At world creation time, the Dungeon is randomly formed from one of four dungeon bricks, and one of four dungeon brick walls. The color of the bricks does not always match the color of the walls.Dungeons are filled with chests containing rare and powerful items as well as unique decoration items. They also include a number of unique monsters listed below. The dungeon is always on the opposite side of
the world from the Surface Jungle. To gain access to the Dungeon, Skeletron must first be defeated. Skeletron is the guardian boss who is summoned by talking to the Old Man standing just outside the Dungeon entrance at night. If you talk to the Old Man during the day, he'll say to wait until night to talk to him. Entering the Dungeon below depth 0 without first defeating Skeletron will cause the Dungeon Guardian to spawn, which can kill the player in one hit.
Loot is spread evenly throughout the Dungeon, so loot further down is not necessarily better. Sometimes when exploring the dungeon Skeletron may reappear and attempt to fight the player, but restarting the game should fix this.
UPDATE: Due to recent patches, as of 1.0.6 this no longer works without using a match editor; game sees all player dropped tiles as home tiles.
It is possible to create an artificial Dungeon by placing Dungeon Bricks and Dungeon Walls. In order to be in a Dungeon area, the player needs to be next to at least 250 Dungeon Bricks and have Dungeon Walls behind them. The music will change to the standard Dungeon theme within a properly constructed artificial Dungeon. Note that the Dungeon area doesn't need to be enclosed in any way.
Keep in mind that monsters will only spawn offscreen, so the Dungeon needs to be large enough to allow for an offscreen area where Dungeon monsters can spawn. Also, Dungeon monsters will only spawn below 0 depth, as read by the Depth Meter. If Skeletron has not yet been defeated, players should be aware that the Dungeon Guardian will spawn in the artificial Dungeon. Although it is a dungeon, it doesn't contain chests or pots making it quite redundant unless farming bones and golden keys.
- Dungeon Guardian (Only if one enters a Dungeon without defeating Skeletron first)
- Angry Bones
- Cursed Skull
- Dragon Skull(Console only)
- Dark Caster
- Skeletron (Boss)
- Dungeon Slime
- Blazing Wheel (Immortal)
- Spike Ball (Immortal)
- Blue Armored Bones (Hardmode)
- Hell Armored Bones (Hardmode)
- Skeleton Commando (Hardmode)
- Dungeon Spirit (Hardmode)
- Necromancer (Hardmode)
- Paladin (Hardmode) (Miniboss)
- Bone Lee (Hardmode)
- Tactical Skeleton (Hardmode)
- Diabolist (Hardmode)
- Giant Cursed Skull (Hardmode)
- Ragged Caster (Hardmode)
- Skeleton Sniper (Hardmode)
- Rusty Armored Bones (Hardmode)
Chests may contain, along with normal chest loot:
- Aqua Scepter
- Blue Moon
- Cobalt Shield
- Golden Key
- Magic Mirror
- Magic Missile
- Shadow Key
- Whoopee Cushion
Other loot from the dungeon includes the Water Bolt spell, which can be obtained by smashing books in the dungeon. Dungeons are also a free source of wire, switches, chain lanterns, dart traps, pressure plates, and water candles. Wire Cutters are needed to harvest the wire. There are also many decorative furniture items, including paintings, beds, chairs, and workbenches, that can be found throughout the dungeon.
Once Hard Mode has been activated and Plantera has been defeated, the Dungeon becomes much more difficult. New types of enemies will spawn such as Necromancers and the Paladin mini-boss. When these new enemies are killed there is a chance to spawn a Dungeon Spirit, which will drop Ectoplasm to be used to craft Spectre items.
Along with new enemies, four of the five special locked chests will become accessible(the keys to these chests will only drop in Hard Mode). The one that will not appear is the Corruption or Crimson chest, depending on if that world is infected with The Corruption or The Crimson. They each require a matching key (neither the Shadow Key nor the Golden Keys work to unlock them). These keys can be obtained by killing enemies in the corresponding Biomes to get the Key Molds that are found in that Biome, and then craft with various Items. The enemies do not have to be native to that biome but the drop rate is 0.025% or 1 in 4000, making them extremely rare.
- It is possible to make a Home in the Dungeon by taking out the background walls, placing different walls there, and putting down a bed. This will allow you to spawn there and it prevents monsters from spawning.
- The bottom of the Dungeon will sometimes cut into the Underworld, providing a viable way to easily access The Underworld. This can happen on any world size, but it is more common on smaller worlds.
- In Hardmode it is possible to hear underground Hallow/Corruption instead of the normal dungeon theme if Hallow/Corruption is nearby and also for dungeon monsters to drop Souls of Light/Night.
- If the bottom of the Dungeon reaches the Underworld, the Corruption/Hallow can't spread past the Dungeon as it literally separates your Overworld. If the Dungeon doesn't go that deep, it'll still take the Corruption/Hallow very long to spread past it, going all the way around.
- Sometimes, a boulder trap will spawn in the ceiling of a dungeon. This could be an easy way to get inside the dungeon without going from the entrance. (But you still need to kill skeletron,as the dungeon guardian will kill you past depth 0.)
- Occasionally, the dungeon entrance will be flooded.
- 5 new kinds of locked chests added to the dungeon: Corruption Chest, Crimson Chest, Jungle Chest, Hallowed Chest, Frozen Chest
- The dungeon now spawns new enemies in Hardmode.
- Added Furniture, Banners and new Light Sources.
- Dungeons are now generated with traps and light sources wired to pressure plates or switches.
- Dungeon can now be flooded.
- The bug where the Ocean overlaps with the Dungeon at world creation time has been fixed.
- Gold Chests are now locked and must be opened with a Golden Key.
- Dungeon Slime, Blazing Wheel and Spike Ball enemies introduced.
- The ability to construct artificial dungeons has been removed, any placed dungeon background walls will automatically be considered as Home Tiles.
- Entering the Dungeon without defeating Skeletron now spawns the Dungeon Guardian rather than Skeletron's head.