The Dungeon is an enormous structure found close to the edge of the world opposite of the Jungle, spanning many layers deep, usually all the way to The Underworld. It spawns on the opposite side of the world as the side the dungeon was on in the last world created, and on the same side as the Snow Biome. At world creation, the Dungeon is randomly formed from one of three Dungeon Bricks and walls (Can come in blue, green, or pink variants). It is the home of the third boss, Skeletron, who will only spawn at night when talking to the Old Man but if attempted to enter before defeating Skeletron the player will face the Dungeon Guardian. Since the dungeon guardian can kill the player in one hit, and is extremely fast, it is highly recommended that one does not enter the dungeon before defeating Skeletron. Upon gaining access, the Clothier NPC will be freed and the player can then roam about fighting deadly enemies, dodge numerous traps, and discover powerful loot.
The dungeon is made up of Dungeon Brick. It requires Nightmare Pickaxe/Deathbringer Pickaxe or higher to mine and is immune to explosives. The dungeon zig-zags down from the entrance to a larger, labyrinth like section where the majority of the loot can be found. The winding nature works to make monster spawns unpredictable, creating many "ambushes" from above. It is highly recommended that every character have a Magic Mirror for quick escape, as getting out is often more difficult than getting in as a result of needing to go up.
There are many rooms branching from the labyrinth where a great deal of loot can be found and can be a good resting place as monsters only have one access point to the character.
Spikes line much of the dungeon making simple traversing dangerous. They can be mined, but are harder than the dungeon brick. Placing blocks or platforms over them is recommended.
Only one NPC can be found anywhere within the dungeon, and will be bound until the player right-clicks on them and untie them, and that is the Mechanic. However, since the Goblin Tinkerer and the Wizard can be found anywhere underground once their requirements are fulfilled, they may also spawn in the dungeon, and can be unbound the same way.
The dungeon has a large number of unique monsters. The monster spawn may be abnormally high as there are Water Candles spread throughout, so try to break them while traversing the dungeon to keep the rate down.
To gain access to the Dungeon, Skeletron must first be defeated. Skeletron is the guardian boss summoned by talking to the Old Man standing outside the Dungeon entrance at night. During the day, he will say to wait until night to talk to him. Entering the Dungeon below 0 Depth without first defeating Skeletron will cause the Dungeon Guardian to spawn, which can kill a player on contact. After the Old Man has been freed and becomes the Clothier, Skeletron can be summoned again using a Clothier Voodoo Doll and killing the Clothier.
The Dungeon is filled with chests containing rare and powerful tools and weapons as well as unique decorative items. Loot in the dungeon can be found laying around, as drops from monsters, or in chests. All Gold Chests found in the Dungeon are locked and require a Golden Key to unlock them. There are also 5 Hardmode Chests, described below.
Gold Chests may contain, along with normal chest loot:
- Aqua Scepter
- Blue Moon
- Cobalt Shield
- Golden Key
- Magic Mirror
- Magic Missile
- Shadow Key
- Bone Welder
Other loot from the dungeon includes the Water Bolt spell, which can be obtained by smashing books in the dungeon. Dungeons are also a free source of wire and many wiring items. There are also many decorative furniture items, including paintings, beds, chairs, and workbenches, that can be found throughout the dungeon.
Hardmode Chest Loot
Once Plantera is defeated, five different hardmode chests related to each biome can be opened using Biome Keys. These chests contain the Vampire Knives, Scourge of the Corruptor, Staff of the Frost Hydra, Piranha Gun, and the Rainbow Gun.
|Frozen Chest||Hallowed Chest||Jungle Chest||Crimson Chest||Corruption Chest|
Other Hardmode Loot
Once Hardmode has been activated and Plantera has been defeated, the Dungeon becomes much more difficult, with new types of enemies which will spawn. When these new enemies are killed there is a chance for a Dungeon Spirit to spawn, which will drop Ectoplasm; used to craft Spectre Bars. These new, trickier enemies can be farmed for their powerful loot and Ectoplasm. Here is a video to help explain how to farm the mobs.
- It is possible to make a Home in the Dungeon by taking out the background walls, placing different walls there, and putting down a bed. This will allow a character to spawn there, and it prevents monsters from spawning.
- The bottom of the Dungeon will sometimes cut into the Underworld, providing a viable way to access The Underworld. This can happen on any world size, but it is more common on smaller worlds.
- In Hardmode it is possible to hear underground Hallow/Corruption instead of the normal dungeon theme if Hallow/Corruption is nearby and also for dungeon monsters to drop Souls of Light/Night.
- If the bottom of the Dungeon reaches the Underworld, the Corruption/Hallow can't spread past the Dungeon as it separates the surface world. If the Dungeon doesn't go that deep, it'll still take the Corruption/Hallow very long to spread past it, going all the way around.
- Sometimes, a boulder trap will spawn in the ceiling of a dungeon. This could be an easy way to get inside the dungeon without going from the entrance.
- Occasionally, parts of the dungeon will be flooded.
- Loot is spread evenly throughout the Dungeon, so loot further down is not necessarily better.
- Sometimes when exploring the dungeon Skeletron may reappear and attempt to fight the player, but restarting the game should fix this.
- Mining close to the Dungeon without defeating Skeletron will cause Dungeon Guardian to spawn and target the player.
- The dungeon is always on the opposite side of the world from the Jungle.
- The Dungeon Guardian may spawn right as a player enters the dungeon entrance if the dungeon is generated in the dirt layer. Although unlikely, this can occur in small worlds.
- The Dungeon is always on the other side of the map, deleted or not, on the previous map. For example, if a world is created with the Dungeon on the right side and create a new world, the Dungeon on that world will be on the left. If that second world is deleted and another world is made, the Dungeon will be on the right.
- Once Golem has been defeated, 4 Ancient Cultists will spawn in the entrance of the dungeon making it difficult to defeat Skeletron if you haven't already since killing the ancient cultists will spawn the Lunatic Cultist.
- It is Possible to Defeat the Dungeon Guardian with the right Ammo, Guns, Armor, and certain Accessories. Although it will take a long time since the Dungeon Guardian has over 9999 Health.
- (Mobile) Upon world generation, some of the Dungeon's bricks may be replaced by Dirt Blocks. This may be caused by the overcrowding of biomes before the update that added expanded words.
- 5 new kinds of locked chests added to the dungeon: Corruption Chest, Crimson Chest, Jungle Chest, Hallowed Chest, Frozen Chest
- The dungeon now spawns new enemies in Hardmode.
- Added Furniture, Banners and new Light Sources.
- Now has its own music instead of the Eerie theme.
- Dungeons are now generated with traps and light sources wired to pressure plates or switches
- Dungeon can now be flooded.
- The bug where the Ocean overlaps with the Dungeon at world creation time has been fixed.
- Gold Chests are now locked and must be opened with a Golden Key.
- Dungeon Slime, Blazing Wheel and Spike Ball enemies introduced.The ability to construct artificial dungeons has been removed, any placed dungeon background walls will automatically be considered as Home Tiles.
- Entering the Dungeon without defeating Skeletron now spawns the Dungeon Guardian rather than Skeletron's head.
- Added to the game.