Expert Mode is a world option added in 1.3. Enabling Expert Mode increases the difficulty of a world by altering enemy AI, upping the health of monsters and bosses, and more. You - and all participating players, in multiplayer - will earn a Treasure Bag for defeating bosses. This mode can be very challenging to new players so it is recommended to play normal mode first. This mode should not be underestimated.
- You will drop 75% of your money upon death.
- It will take longer to respawn after you die, especially while a boss is active.
- All monsters have double to triple hp and attack, and some monsters have changed AI.
- Bosses have extra health, new AI, extra damage, and will drop Treasure Bags.
- Some mobs can inflict new debuffs.
- Health regeneration is slower unless you are under the Well Fed Buff.
- Vampire Knives and Spectre Armor healing is lowered.
- Boss health scales depending on number of players.
- Enemies can pick up dropped money, glow with the specific money color, and run away with it, often resulting in the money disappearing due to despawns. You can kill the monster to gain all stolen money.
- Ice Monsters gain an additional chance to freeze upon hitting the player.
- Pots now drop more items when broken and different items.
- Angler Quests reward more cash.
- Enemies have a slightly higher chance to spawn in towns.
- Developer-reserved items, like Red's Wings are attainable as vanity sets from treasure bags and do not cause debuffs when worn.
- Stepping in water while in a snow biome will apply debuff: Chilled.
- Bosses move slightly faster, have more health, and deal more damage.
- Skeletron and his mechanical counterpart's defense no longer drops to 0 when the head is spinning.
- Skeletron also gets a homing attack similar to the Book of Skulls spell.
- Plantera's vine minions sprout from its arms instead of its body and the number of tentacles increases.
- The Brain of Cthulhu changes its second stage attack entirely. This attack phase is similar to the Lunatic Cultist and how he spawns illusionary duplicates of himself.
- Duke Fishron gains a third phase of attacks.
- The Wall of Flesh moves much faster, and the Hungry regenerate.
- The Destroyer gains a massive boost to damage on its head segment.
- The Eye of Cthulhu gains a dash attack in its second stage (Spazmatism gains this as well).
- The Eater of Worlds gains the Vile Spit attack used by Corruptors.
- King Slime will spawn Spiked Slimes, with increasing frequency as his health goes down.
- Brain of Confusion
- Shrimpy Truffle
- Worm Scarf
- Shield of Cthulhu
- Shiny Stone
- Spore Sac
- Hive Pack
- Bone Glove
- Mechanical Battery Piece
- Mechanical Wheel Piece
- Demon Heart
- Mechanical Wagon Piece
- Royal Gel
- Gravity Globe
- Suspicious Looking Tentacle
- Be sure to get good armor, and lots of Heart Crystals before fighting any Boss. Their new AI tricks can be very deadly to the unsuspecting player. Hard Mode bosses do not seem to have anything new to them besides increased stats - (?)
- Be sure to protect your NPCs as monsters can kill them quicker, especially in Hard Mode, where weak monster stats start scaling upwards.
- It is recommended to have campfires and heart lamps near your home for quick regeneration.
- Be sure to have healing potions, regeneration potions, iron skin potion and most importantly of all - food.
- Don't walk around with a lot of cash since you could lose 75% of it permanently.
- Make sure to put blocks near your doors, so that monsters can't enter.
- Break all the pots, they drop more loot.
- Do not underestimate the dodging power of the Shield of Cthulhu, its dash makes you briefly invulnerable to melee collision damage - which can be very useful in skilled hands against monsters and bosses alike, alongside the obvious ability to quickly dash away from a deadly projectile.
- Added to the game.