Floating Islands are masses of land that appear in the sky. Just like in forests, you can find Trees and grass growing over Dirt Blocks, with some Stone Blocks and Ores in the ground. They will always spawn with a building made of ore bricks, which contains a locked Gold Chest. The monsters that spawn on a Floating Island are the same as the ones from the Forest, with the exception of Harpies and (in hardmode) Wyverns. There can be more than the three Floating Islands that the world is supposed to contain. The maximum amount of floating islands in a large map is 8.Terraria - How To Find Floating islands(01:28)
Floating Islands can be found at different levels of height, based on the size of the map selected. Use a Depth Meter to determine your height. If you don't have a Depth Meter, you can build your way to the top of the map, and then count tiles as you descend. On a small map, a Skybridge built about 80 tiles (160 feet) below the top of the world is optimal for finding the islands.
Floating islands are found at the following heights above sea level (depending on World Size):
- Small World - Floating Islands are located around 400 feet above sea level, and in some circumstances are very close to large hills.
- Medium World - they are generally found around 400 to 750 feet. The easiest way to find one is to move horizontally at about 480 feet (estimation).
- Large World - they are located between 400-1200 feet. It is very difficult to find islands on large maps, due to the broad height range; the best option is to get a map viewer, so it's easier to spot them.You can also use a gravitation potion if you feel it is needed.
Locating Floating Islands
There are several ways of locating Floating Islands from the ground:
- You could craft Meteor Shot and shoot them into the air while traveling. Since Meteor Shot ricochets, you will be able to tell when there is an island above you, since the bullets will bounce off the islands and fall back down towards you.
- You can use a Water Bolt, and if it comes back down then there is a floating island above you, though this is a slow alternative to meteor shots.
- You can use Magic Missile depending on the map size. Magic Missile has a trailing sound effect that plays until it hits a surface. Firing directly up at a floating island will cause the sound effect to stop abruptly when it hits the island.
- If you find Ores like Gold and Silver on the surface try and use one of the tricks mentioned above, as any ore of more value than Iron is normally only found underground, but the Floating Islands are believed by some to be areas of land torn out of the ground when the map is fully developed, so what would normally be underground and have gold will be wrenched up into the air, but anything that is not pulled up will be left behind, which would explain the surface ores.
- Another way to find a Floating Island is to look for places on the ground where dirt looks ripped off and the dirt background is left in place. Stack blocks up where you found the ripped ground and it is possible to find an Island.
- Leaping off a skybridge with accessories that allow flight and increase speed such as Wings and Spectre Boots is a great way to scout a large area for them.
- Using a large resolution can help in find Floating Islands.
- You can create a hardcore character, kill yourself to become a ghost and search for them this way, but this of course kills you so it is recommended you do it only on multiplayer.
- You can also use a Gravitation Potion if you have enough, and continually switch between fall directions. The draw back to this is that you will encounter Harpies or Wyverns (on Hardmode).
- You could build a skybridge
- Mining on the Floating Islands is also a good idea. Gold Ore and Silver Ore can usually be found inside the islands.
- Chests may contain:
- Conjoined Floating Islands are possible.
- Some Floating Islands are found over large deposits of clay on the surface, so if you see clay there is a chance of there being a floating island above you. (Unconfirmed)