- This mode only on PC.
Hardcore Mode is a character-specific difficulty setting that can be selected when creating a new character. Character names that are set in Hardcore Mode are tinted dark purple. Created Hardcore characters cannot be changed back to any other difficulty. Once the player dies, everything in their inventory is dropped and the character is deleted. They are given the basic starting equipment (Copper Shortsword, Copper Pickaxe, Copper Axe), and both health and mana are set to their defaults (Health:100 Mana:20). From the time the players dies until the time he disconnects, he will be a ghost, which is not visible to other players, provides no light, passes through walls, and cannot interact with anything. A Tombstone is dropped and inscribed with whatever message appears at the bottom of the screen when the player dies.Terraria Hardcore Mode(02:09)
Here is a list of tips for dealing with Hardcore Mode:
- Dedicate a couple of chests to store some equipment to use, should the character die. Typically included: a melee weapon; armor; Grappling Hook; accessories; Magic Mirror; Healing, Shine and Ironskin Potions for most areas plus appropriate potions for various regions. Stay light, though; space is needed to pick up equipment and loot.
- Put those chests somewhere safe. The Goblin Army, Eater of Worlds, Blood Moons and Skeletons may trouble the player post-death. Players should make sure they can still reach those chests without any equipment.
- Don't take risks. Even if players are good with a wooden sword or bow, the night may simply overwhelm them. Similarly, don't make an extended visit to the Underworld without some Obsidian Skin Potions.
- Get used to drinking extra potions and sacrificing more resources to get the job done. Players really need the extra edge if they want to live, especially against bosses.
- Try to avoid drops entirely until a cloud in a bottle, lucky horseshoe, or grappling hook is acquired.
- Heal up early, even if it's inefficient. If the character is likely to be killed by three more hits from the strongest local monsters or from lava, drink a Health Potion as soon as damage is taken as a second hit may kill, or the timer will not run out soon enough.
- A hardcore player's name and chat is displayed red.
- As a ghost, you can't exit the game at all from the settings menu. When you try to open it, nothing happens. The only solution is to close Terraria entirely.
- Hardcore characters now drop items with prefixes on death.
- Character is deleted / becomes a ghost upon death
- Added to the game.