The Harpy is a flying monster that shoots feathers at the player. Harpies only spawns at sky level, about half the distance between ground level and the top of the map, which varies depending on the size of the world. Smaller worlds will spawn Harpies at lower altitudes.
- Harpies can't attack straight down, (they are able to in the console versionVerify ) so players can dig a hole about three or four blocks deep to be safe from the projectiles.
- Before unlocking Hard Mode, Harpies cannot appear over the original Spawnpoint (to a distance of ~750 blocks) - after killing the Wall of Flesh, this restriction is removed and both Harpies and Wyverns can spawn freely.
- It is important to exercise caution when in Floating Islands or building a Skybridge as Harpies can spawn in great numbers.
- If one is in a Meteorite biome at a sufficient altitude (above 500 feet in a small world), Harpies will spawn instead at the same rate as Meteor Heads. Just below this and both Harpies and Meteor Heads will spawn. They will not exceed the maximum hostile NPC cap, however.
- If several Harpies are in one area, they can occupy the same space and "stack" to create a visual effect of one Harpy with several wings.
- They can follow a player to ground level, allowing much simpler combat if a fall-damage accessory is not equipped.
- They are confirmed to be female by the Angler and the dungeon defenders crossover
- Harpies can sometimes glitch spawn on the ground.
- Harpies may spawn on-screen if players are at the top of the world.
- Renamed from Harpey to Harpy.
- Added to the game.