|Sub Type||Grappling Device|
|Rarity||Tier 3 (Orange)|
|Crafted With|| 1 Grappling Hook|
12 Jungle Spores
|Crafted At||Iron Anvil|
The Ivy Whip is an upgraded form of the Grappling Hook, boasting a longer reach and three separate vines. These three vines can be used for ascent, descent, positioning, or even speeding up while traveling, but you can only use three of the vines at a time. The fourth will only be sent out if all the other three are attached to walls and, when it connects, forces the vine fired the earliest to return. This allows a player to position themselves in the middle of a space, unlike a traditional Grappling Hook which attaches you straight to the target surface. This allows for a significant improvement in the ease with which walls can be placed. One end can be joined to a Wood Platform.
With the 1.1 update, a new hook has been introduced, the Dual Hook. Despite the fact that this tool belongs to a higher tier, some players may still favor the ability to connect to three surfaces at once.Terraria - Ivy Whip Grappling Hook(01:52)
- Each vine will only stick to a surface for 1 minute, then it returns to you. Each vine has its own individual countdown from when it was fired.
- The Ivy Whip does not inflict damage to monsters, but it will destroy vegetation and Pots.
- The Ivy Whip has a length of 26 blocks or 52 feet.
- The Ivy Whip can also be used to squeeze the player through a 1-tile opening by hooking onto two spots far enough with the opening in the middle. but you cant use it to get out.
- In the alpha version of Terraria, the Ivy Whip did damage to enemies, along with the Grappling Hook. Now neither of these items inflict damage to enemies.
- Although the Ivy Whip is crafted with only three vines, a fourth will appear if you are connected with the other three.
- You can fire your Ivy Whip, then throw it away and you will still be attached to the wall.
- If you attach one vine to the middle of a closed door and open it, you will be flung forward. This occurs with any other grappling item as well.
- By firing the Ivy Whip at the ground while falling fall damage will be negated, if the vine lands before you.
- If you fire all of the vines, then use a grappling hook, one of the vines will turn in to a normal grapple.
- The Ivy Whip is one of the few/only items without a description. It contains the name Ivy Whip and nothing else.
- You can no-longer fire multiple vines at a time, only one can be fired until you attach to a block.