Mediumcore is one of three difficulties chosen upon character creation. It sits somewhere in between Hardcore and Softcore. In Mediumcore mode, when a player dies, a Tombstone is placed on the place of death, and all items in their inventory are dropped on the ground, compared to Softcore's coin loss and Hardcore's character deletion.
Items dropped in mediumcore mode will stay at the place of death until either your character logs out or you reset your spawn point, at which point they are removed from the world.
It is called Difficult mode on Console versions.
Here are some tips for dealing with Mediumcore Mode:
- Dedicate a couple of chests to store some equipment to use, should you die. Typically you should include a melee weapon, some armor, a Grappling Hook, accessories, Healing, Shine and Ironskin Potions for most areas, plus appropriate potions for various regions. Stay light, though; you'll need the space to pick up your equipment and loot.
- Put those chests somewhere safe. The Goblin Army, Eater of Worlds, Blood Moons and Skeletons may trouble you post-death. Make sure you can still reach those chests without any equipment.
- Don't take risks. Even if you're good with a wooden sword or bow, the night may simply overwhelm you. Similarly, don't make an extended visit to the Underworld without some Obsidian Skin Potions.
- Always have your spawn point in your house or somewhere safe. As you will drop your gear after dying, having a good spawn point will let you gear up again safely.
- Always try to avoid lava, especially when you are on low health. Dying near the lava may cause your gear to drop into the lava and burn, having no chance to recover them at all.
- Get used to drinking extra potions and sacrificing more resources to get the job done. You'll really need the extra edge if you want to live, especially against bosses.
- Be wary of long falls. Try to keep a few glowsticks on you so that you can gain vision of the hole you want to go down, or see how deep it is. Try to avoid drops entirely until you get a cloud in a bottle, lucky horseshoe, or grappling hook.
- Heal up early, even if it's inefficient. If you're likely to be killed by three more hits from the strongest local monsters or from lava, drink a Health Potion as soon as you get hit as you may be hit a second time before doing so. As of version 1.0.5 you can press 'H' to use a health potion, provided you have taken damage.
- Make sure you have a spare Magic Mirror stored in your home, and having at least 20 Mana (Use a Mana Crystal or any equipment with Arcane quality if you have no Mana at all) during the recovery trip. When you return to your equipment and pick them up, you will be able to go home safely with the Magic Mirror.
- Make sure you do recover your lost gear before hitting Save & Exit. Or any items on the ground will disappear permanently.
- Added to the game.