The Merchant is an NPC who appears when all players on a world have a combined total of at least 50 and there is a Home for him to live in. Once the requirements are met, the Merchant will move into a vacant home in the player's world and begin to buy and sell items. When enemies are near, he will throw Throwing Knives at them.
|Lesser Healing Potion||3||None|
|Safe||20||Skeletron must be defeated|
|Lesser Mana Potion||1||None|
|Flare||7||Flare Gun obtained|
|Blue Flare||7||Flare Gun obtained|
|Throwing Knife||50||Blood Moon only|
|Disco Ball||1||Wall of Flesh must be defeated|
|Gold Dust||17||Wall of Flesh must be defeated|
|Marshmallow||1||Must be in Snow Biome|
|Bug Net||25 |
|Wiesnbräu||9 95||Sold only during Oktoberfest.|
|Turkey Feather||10||Sold only during the Thanksgiving season|
|Heart Arrow||50||During Valentines.|
|Tax Collector's Hat||3||During Halloween|
|Tax Collector's Suit||3||During Halloween|
|Tax Collector's Pants||3||During Halloween|
|Nail||1||When the player possesses a Nail Gun|
|When prompted, the Merchant will say one of the following phrases, depending on the current time:
During the morning:
During the day and the morning:
During the evening:
|Note: Upon adding a new name, make sure you add it in alphabetical (ABC) order.
- Considering how easily one can obtain 50 within the first few nights of a new game, the Merchant is considered the easiest NPC to obtain (besides the Guide).
- Sometimes on the iOS version you will get a second Safe on purchase.
- It is possible to have both your Merchant and Clothier named Alfred, but this is very uncommon.
- Before v1.1, it was possible to get up to three Merchants in your world at a time. The second Merchant required at least 3 players with 50 while the third required at least 5 players with 5 .
- The Merchant seems to be very interested in the Eye of Cthulhu.
- Even though he states that he sells dirt, he does not buy nor sell dirt.
- The Merchant sells Iron Anvils even in a world with Lead, thus allowing 1 of 2 ways of getting Iron anvils in a lead world. The others being an Extractinator, or bars from crates.
- The Sickle is now sold all year-round.
- Now sells Nails when the player has a Nail Gun in their inventory.
- Sells Tax Collector Outfit during Halloween.
- Fixed a typo in one of the Merchant's first names.
- Now sells the Bug Net.
- Lesser Mana Potions are now always for sale.
- Fixed a bug where the Merchant would not spawn if the player had over 21,000 .
- Now sells the Sickle on Halloween.
- Merchant duplication glitch fixed.
- Now sells Rope, Marshmallows and Flares.
- Is now designated a randomly generated name when spawned.
- No longer possible to have multiple Merchants in one world.
- Now sells Disco Ball after Hardmode has been enabled.
- Now sells the Safe.
- Glowsticks and Throwing Knives now sold by the Merchant.
- Merchant's inventory of items for sale are now time-of-day and event-dependent.
- Added to the game.