- See also: Hardmode Ores
Ores are various types of minerals found in the game. Most can be found underground and very rarely on the surface like Iron Ore and Copper Ore. Others are only obtainable while mining or from sky islands. Demonite Ore can also be obatined by killing the Eye of Cthulhu or the Eater of Worlds. All ores can be smelted into bars at a furnace; iron and gold ores are also used to create Ironskin Potion and Spelunker Potion respectively. The resulting bars can be crafted into Armor, Pickaxes, Swords, etc. Hellstone may only be smelted using a Hellforge or Adamantite Forge. Adamantite may only be smelted at an Adamantite Forge.
- Demonite (Boss loot and rare minable traces, glow up in the dark.)
- Meteorite (Mined from a fallen Meteorite.)
- Hellstone (Mined in The Underworld.)
- Obsidian (Mined where water and lava meet.)
- Cobalt (Hardmode Ore, 3rd best ore in the game)
- Mythril (Hardmode Ore, 2nd best ore in the game)
- Adamantite (Hardmode Ore, best ore in the game)
- Main Article: Hardmode Ores
- Meteorite ore and Hellstone both cause fire-damage, unless the player has an Obsidian Skull, Obsidian Horseshoe or Obsidian Shield equipped or has the buff from the Obsidian Skin Potion.
- There is a hallow armor, however there is no ore for it.
- Hellstone has to be combined with obsidian to produce bars