|Spawn Time|| (Hard Mode)|
|The Horseman's Blade||1.19-14.29%|
|Pumpking Trophy||(Wave 15) 100%|
| Candy Corn Rifle|
Candy Corn (50-100)
| Jack 'O Lantern Launcher|
Explosive Jack 'O Lantern (25-50)
|Black Fairy Dust||1.19-14.29%|
The Pumpking is a Hard Mode boss that spawns during the Pumpkin Moon. It first spawns at wave 7, and it seems to have a AI similar to Skeletron (including having a similar difficulty). It has two lengthy arms, each with a large sickle. These hands act much like Skeletron's hands, but they are indestructible.
It is considered the final boss of the Pumpkin Moon, and subsequent waves after its appearance increase the number of mobs. There can be a large number of Pumpkings attacking at once in the later stages (up to 7 at a time).
It is recommended that multiple players take on this boss during the Pumpkin Moon since the monsters can be quite overwhelming and difficult to deal with. At the same, the more players there are, the more Pumpkings will spawn, so this can be dangerous to exploit.
Its attack pattern depends on the way its face looks; it will change its face in a random manner (unaffected by taking damage).
- His first face will be a typical jack 'o lantern style evil grin, and he will attack as Skeletron would, so the same strategies apply.
- His second face will look like he is annoyed, with his mouth in an O shape. He will attack you with his hands and will spit Greek fire similar to Mourning Wood.
- His third face will look similar to his second face, but with not such a wide mouth and half closed eyes. In this phase he will use flaming blades that act like the Demon Scythe spell, but are much more damaging.
Note that which face the Pumpking will change to is random, so be prepared for any random attacks.
When all players in the map die at one point in time, Pumpking will flee just like the other bosses and a new one will appear in the next wave.
There are numerous ways to take the Pumpking on as he can die very quickly with high DPS weapons, but some of the most common tactics are listed here:
- Ranger: The Stynger is a very efficient weapon to ravage a Pumpking or a group of them as the waves progress. With a good damage-focused setup (preferably one that favours accessories with the Menacing or Lucky prefix), the main projectile and shrapnel produced all have the ability to deal damage upwards of 70 with each hit. Dodging skills are still necessary as Rangers do not have a lifesteal weapon or Armor set designed specifically for them and have to rely on regen, heart statues and Healing Potions. If you've done a Frost Moon and obtained the Snowman Cannon or defeated Duke Fishron and recieved the Tsunami then those can be even more preferable choices due to the lower use time and homing on the Cannon and the multiple choices for arrow effects on the Tsunami.
- Melee: Piercing and Homing weapons (Terra Blade, Flairon, Scourge of the Corruptor, Paladin's Hammer, Possessed Hatchet etc) are more than an excellent choice for Warriors challenging the Moon and Pumpking for the first few times. Once you've obtained The Horseman's Blade from killing Pumpkings, farming them becomes easy due to the ability to make a small box with about 6 monster spawning statues (3 on a platform above another 3 below), hooking them up to an engine or timer/pressure plate and continually swinging the sword while in the statue box. The amount of homing Pumpkings produced using this method will melt a Pumpking down in seconds, albeit as a bit of a cheesy method.
- Lowered duration on scythe attack.
- Added to the game.