A Solar Eclipse is an event that has a 1/25 or 4% chance of replacing a regular day when Hard Mode is active in a world or can also be manually summoned by using the Solar Tablet. This event will last for the entirety of the day which it happens on (15 minutes). A solar eclipse is heralded by the message, "A solar eclipse is happening!", and a change in music.
A Solar Eclipse can happen at any time after the player has defeated the Wall of Flesh and any of the mechanical bosses (The Twins, The Destroyer, or Skeletron Prime.) When a Solar Eclipse happens, monsters from the chart below will spawn in the place of regular monsters in all surface biomes.
The monsters that spawn have a chance to drop the Broken Hero Sword which is a material vital to the late-game melee-weapon user, due to it being used to craft the True Excalibur and True Night's Edge, which are then used to create the Terra Blade. (Note: On v184.108.40.206+, the mini-boss, Mothron, is the only monster whom may drop the Broken Hero Sword. It will only spawn after have been defeated.)
|Swamp Thing||Able to run extremely fast.||350||Broken Hero Sword (Mobile/console only)|
|Frankenstein||Just like a normal zombie, except with more health.||220||Broken Hero Sword (Mobile/console only)|
|Vampire||Able to turn into a bat and fly. Able to run extremely fast.||500||Broken Bat Wing|
|Eyezor||Able to shoot a laser out of its eye.||1000||Eye Spring|
|Reaper||Can fly. Able to go through walls. A stronger version of the Wraith.||300||Death Sickle|
|The Possessed||Able to run extremely fast. Can 'run' on walls.||600||Coins|
|Butcher||Able to run extremely fast.||700||Butcher's Chainsaw|
|Nailhead||Extremely slow and resistant to knockback. Can shoot up to 8 nails in random directions when damaged.||4000||Nail Gun|
|Deadly Sphere||Can fly.||350||Deadly Sphere Staff|
|Creature from the Deep||Can run extremely fast and swim.||400||Neptune's Shell|
|Psycho||Can run fast. Able to jump extremely high.||550||Psycho Knife|
|Dr. Man Fly||Can throw potions that do area damage.||500||Toxic Flask|
|Fritz||Can run extremely fast.||270||Coins|
|Mothron||Can fly. Lays destroyable eggs that eventually spawn Baby Mothrons.||6000||Broken Hero Sword (PC Only)|
It is recommended to get away from your house so that the mobs do not go after your NPCs. Get to a flat area and acquire a weapon that can attack multiple enemies, such as the Paladin's Hammer or the Piranha Gun. The mobs will start to rush at you in lines, and with your weapon you can quickly finish off the entire line of enemies with a few strokes of your weapon.
Another strategy is to build a lava-pit at either side of your home and a loot-corridor underneath. This way you just have to sit out the solar eclipse, watching as hordes of monsters die in your lava-pits and loot as you walk underneath. Add a Water Candle to increase enemy spawn rate, to help get rare drops.
An alternate strategy involves using a cave or empty house with only one entrance (preferably far away from your NPCs), and place a block in front of the door so that enemies will still try to attack you, but cannot reach you. this will protect you from most enemy attacks, and combined with a multi-hitting melee weapon, can kill mobs without much risk. This strategy still leaves you open to reapers which can travel through walls.
If you need to farm monsters a good way is to build a platform and shoot monsters from there. But if you use this strategy watch out for Vampires since they can fly. For this strategy excellent weapons are the Inferno Fork and Piranha Gun. A Golden Shower combined with a Nimbus Rod also make it possible to go through an entire solar eclipse without moving. Note that Eyezors and Vampires still may be able to attack you.
Another strategy is to build a small box ~12 blocks above the ground so reapers can't get you. The box should be 4x3 with two of the floor tiles being platforms. Simply stand on the platforms shooting down at the monsters with any weapon that reaches them, i.e; flails, guns, bows, boomerangs or projectile swords. The solid blocks are for you to escape to if you are swarmed by Eyezors. If you have a weapon that shots through blocks, i.e; the Death Sickle, you may just completely box yourself in and shoot at the monsters without taking any damage. Regen items like campfires and heart lanterns will not be needed nor will Regeneration and Ironskin potions. You will take very little damage using this strategy and get lots of loot.
Escaping to the underground stops solar eclipse monsters from spawning. If you need to have a break from the solar eclipse, or the monsters are overpowering you, simply run away into a cave. Space is also an option, but Harpies and Wyverns are affected by solar eclipses, therefore they will spawn at a higher frequency.
- Solar eclipses can be considered the daytime equivalent of Blood Moons, though the latter can also occur outside of Hard Mode.
- Monsters spawned during this event drop large amounts of money, to the point that a player can earn upwards of 2 from a single Solar Eclipse.
- A Solar Eclipse can be announced simultaneously with a Goblin Invasion or a Pirate invasion, in this case the invasion won't actually begin until night or until the player moves from the invaded area.
- On console, vampires will turn into their human form as soon as they reach the same height as you, no blocks are between you and them, and they are on-screen.
- Occasionally, saving and quitting during a solar eclipse will cancel the eclipse when the world is reloaded.
- Sometimes, the eclipse will continue being active until dawn.
- An Eclipse is possibly the event that rewards most money in comparison to other events like the Blood Moon or the Goblin Army.
- In spite of the moon technically being in front of the sun, this event will not grant the bonuses of a Moon Stone or trigger a werewolf transformation.
- Can now be manually summoned with a Solar Tablet
- Many new monsters added both Pre-Plantera and Post-Plantera.
- Now only occurs after one mechanical boss has been defeated.
- Added to the game.