A Solar Eclipse is an event that has a 1/25 chance of replacing a regular day when Hard Mode is active in a world. This event will last for the entirety of the day which it happens on (15 minutes). A solar eclipse is heralded by the message, "A solar eclipse is happening!", and a change in music.
A Solar Eclipse can happen at any time after the player has defeated the Wall of Flesh and any of the mechanical bosses (The Twins, The Destroyer, or Skeletron Prime.) When a Solar Eclipse happens, monsters from the chart below will spawn in the place of regular monsters in all surface biomes.
The monsters that spawn have a chance to drop the Broken Hero Sword which is a material vital to the late-game melee-weapon user, due to it being used to craft the True Excalibur, True Night's Edge, and Terra Blade.
|Swamp Thing||Able to run extremely fast.||350||Broken Hero Sword|
Swamp Thing Banner
|Frankenstein||Just like a normal zombie, except with more health.||220||Broken Hero Sword|
|Vampire||Able to turn into a bat and fly. Able to run extremely fast.||500||Broken Bat Wing|
|Eyezor||Able to shoot a laser out of its eye.||1000||Eye Spring|
|Reaper||Can fly. Able to go through walls. A stronger version of the Wraith.||300||Death Sickle|
It is recommended to get away from your house so that the mobs do not go after your NPCs. Get to a flat area and acquire a weapon that can attack multiple enemies, such as the Paladin's Hammer or the Piranha Gun. The mobs will start to rush at you in lines, and with your weapon you can quickly finish off the entire line of enemies with a few strokes of your weapon.
Another strategy is to build a lava-pit at either side of your home and a loot-corridor underneath. This way you just have to sit out the solar eclipse, watching as hordes of monsters die in your lava-pits and loot as you walk underneath.
An alternate strategy involves using a cave or empty house with only one entrance (preferrably far away from your NPCs, and place a block in front of the door so that enemies will still try to attack you, but cannot reach you. this will protect you from most enemy attacks, and combined with a multi-hitting melee weapon, can kill mobs without much risk. This strategy still leaves you open to reapers which can travel through walls.
If you need to farm monsters a good way is to build a platform and shoot monsters from there. But if you use this strategy watch out for Vampires since they can fly. For this strategy excellent weapons are the Inferno Fork and Piranha Gun .
Escaping to the underground stops solar eclipse monsters from spawning. If you need to have a break from the solar eclipse, or the monsters are overpowering you, simply run away into a cave. Space is also an option, but Harpies and Wyverns are affected by solar eclipses, therefore they will spawn at a higher frequency.
- Solar eclipses can be considered the daytime equivalent of Blood Moons, though the latter can also occur outside of Hard Mode.
- Monsters spawned during this event drop large amounts of money, to the point that a player can earn upwards of 2 from a single Solar Eclipse.
- A Solar Eclipse can be announced simultaneously with a Goblin Invasion or a pirate invasion, in this case the invasion won't actually begin until night or until the player moves from the invaded area.
- Occasionally, saving and quitting during a solar eclipse will cancel the eclipse when the world is reloaded.
- Sometimes, the eclipse will continue being active until dawn.
- An Eclipse is possibly the event that rewards most money in comparison to other events like the Blood Moon or the Goblin Army.
- In spite of the moon technically being in front of the sun, this event will not grant the bonuses of a Moon Stone or trigger a werewolf transformation.
- Now only occurs after a mechanical boss has been defeated. (The Destroyer, The Twins, Skeletron Prime)
- Added to the game.