Spears are much like Shortswords in that they strike through infinite targets in a straight line extending from the player. Unlike Shortswords, however, Spears can be aimed. Most players prefer Spears over equivalently-tiered Shortswords due to the fact that Spears have more range and can hit the same target multiple times.
Spears are very powerful against worm type enemies, as every segment passing through the tip of the spear will take damage, allowing for a large number of hits in a single attack. However, they are generally more difficult to use against Flying Monsters due to said monsters' greater mobility making them more difficult to hit. These weapons will not damage enemies through walls unless a Burrowing Monster is hit. Like Flails, Spears can attack normal enemies through platforms.
As of v1.1, there are seven different Spears:
- Can no longer be reforged with any prefix that increases size, including Legendary.
- 4 more spears added to the game.
- Dark Lance sprite changed.
- Added to the game.
- Spears are best used for fighting multiple monsters or monsters with multiple sections.
- Flying monsters such as Bats or Demon Eyes can be quite hard to hit with a spear, especially under pressure.
- Moving toward an enemy while attacking with any Spear weapon (with it angled correctly) allows for multiple hits, ranging between 3-5.