It is not possible to destroy a block directly beneath trees with a pickaxe, unlike a Cactus on sand. The blocks will remain unbreakable until the tree grown on it is cut down. Explosives, however, will break the blocks and the tree.
It is advisable to cut trees at their lowest point at the center, the trunk. If you do not cut at the trunk, only the Wood above and where you are cutting will drop. Also, cutting the sides of the trunk, the roots, will not cut down the whole tree, but rather only that part. Trees will not grow back if they have been cut down and do not grow larger over time.
When chopping down a tree, the amount of Wood you get is based on how high the tree is, and how many branches and roots the tree has. For every leaf bush on a tree, there is a chance to get 1 Acorn, and the chance is highest with the leaf bush at the top.
In the Jungle, trees are composed of Rich Mahogany; in The Corruption, The Crimson and The Hallow, trees are composed of Ebonwood (purple foliage), Shadewood (red foliage) and Pearlwood (rainbow foliage), respectively. Other trees will convert into these types if the Corruption, Crimson or Hallow is spread to the blocks they are grown from. The ocean biome contains Palm trees, and the snow biome contains Boreal trees.
There are also naturally-spawning, huge trees called the Living Trees, that can be harvested for Wood.
You may only place acorns on grassy areas, Snow Blocks or Sand Blocks, any already existing flora (grass, plants) will be cut down when you plant the acorn. Planting an acorn creates a Sapling on the designated tile.
Trees cannot be grown at the edge of a step or cliff, next to a step or cliff, or at the edge of a patch of grass, even though you can plant acorns there. While trees can, very rarely, grow a distance of three tiles apart (two empty columns between them), they grow much faster at a distance of four tiles apart (with three empty spaces between them). For these reasons, it is recommended to plant acorns every four tiles on a long flat row of surface grass.
The maximum height for most tree types is 16 tiles high, so a tree farm can have a new level of grass or snow blocks added every 17 tiles high without impeding the growth of the level below. Unlike many plants, saplings will not grow into trees while they are on the screen; they will only grow when not currently in view.
If you run out of trees and acorns, you can purchase more from the Dryad.
You can also make above ground jungles which automatically spawn trees. The trees will look dark green and have vines all over them. They will grow mahogany trees, so making a jungle for trees is recommended. Jungle Trees and jungle vegetation cannot be hallowed, but may be corrupted over a long period of time.
Trees planted by the player can grow to a maximum of 16 tiles high. Saplings have the following requirements to become trees:
- The sapling's lower tile must have no wall.
- There must be a tile of grass to the immediate left and immediate right of the grass the sapling is planted on.
- There can be no trees less than three tiles away.
- The sapling must not currently be in view on the screen.
- As of 1.2, new variants of regular, snow and jungle have arrived. The old variants are carried over.
- Because only 2 regular tree variants appear in 1 world, 1 variant could cover the spawn point and the jungle side and the other side another variant. Sometimes it may do the opposite. Sometimes the spawn point can see both variants. You could also tell if it changes during the underground by looking at the background. A GPS can tell you more.
- It is believed that beach trees exist in Terraria.
- Because it cannot spawn with you around, there is no such thing as a "Tree Growing While Watching" Contest.
- [CAUTION: THE FOLLOWING BELOW CONTAINS SPOILERS. PLEASE LOOK AT IT ONLY WHEN NECESSARY] According to Mushroom Pig, you can tell if it's big, small, or medium if you have a Clentaminator. For mushroom/snow trees, a multiplayer command "/grow tree" will tell all of them. Without the command it would be impossible to show beauty trees underground and cavern.
- Ebonwood/Shadewood Trees now drop Acorns.
- Acorns can now be planted on Corrupted/Crimsoned grass.
- Trees grant less total wood, making acorns more important for wood gain as opposed to being mainly a source of income.
- Trees in Snow Biomes are now bare of foliage, and also drop acorns.
- Trees now spawn on Snow Blocks in Snow Biomes, decorated with snow. They do not drop acorns.
- Added to the game.
- Painting an overworld Glowing Mushroom tree will change the texture to wood.