Hello Terrarians! Welcome to the first issue of The Terrarian Bugle! So what we’re gonna be doing here is pretty simple, I’ll be announcing the latest update info for PC, Console, Mobile. Then we’ll hold a “Poll of the Week” and a few other weekly events. The goal of this "News Blog" is to provide Information and good fun for the community. And remember, this is like the beta version of this idea, as we go along it will get better and better 'til we've reached a stage that the community is cool with. Thanks for reading guys and enjoy! :D
Latest Update info
There is currently a massive uproar occurring over on Terraria Online due to an update post by the developers announcing the final fabled “Lunar Boss” update. Read it for yourself. -.-
WARNING: This may or may not be completely fake.
"As we escape the icy grip of Winter’s cold months and look forward to a Spring of hope and life, we wanted to bring to your attention an imminent threat...lurking in the shadows. For you see, though the horrors of the Pumpkin and Frost Moons now lay safely behind us, an even greater evil awaits those adventurers brave enough to take up arms and fight for the very survival of Terraria.
Without further ado, we wish to give an advance “sneak peek” into some specifics around the close of the “Lunar Trilogy” – and the game’s main story arc itself – the Rise of Fishron!
This will be the final major update to Terraria’s core gameplay, including the addition of a final boss worthy of Terraria and the community that has supported it over the years.
A few quick tidbits to whet your appetite:
Utilizing the new fishing gameplay mechanic will allow the player to interact with a number of new items and creatures – and when certain prerequisites are met, summon the Conch of Fish!
Once the CoF has been defeated, the Ocean Biome will be transformed as the ancient and hidden enemy of all life on Terraria rises from the briny deep – the Aquarian Horde!
The Aquarian Horde, utilizing the power of the Tidal Moon, will seek to destroy all that the player has created! A combination Invasion and penultimate Moon Event, players must fend off the advances of the Aquarians – keeping NPCs alive and buildings intact – until the final showdown is revealed.
Utilizing your skill, wits, and a handful of amazing new gear, you will work towards the ultimate showdown with Terraria’s Ultimate Evil….
"Duke Fishron – the Drowner of Souls and Quencher of Life Itself - will clearly represent a challenge worthy of even the most skilled Terrarian warrior.
Empowered by the rising Tidal Moon, Duke Fishron will wield a litany of devastating attacks against the player – including Bubble Bombs and the dreaded Sharknado Assault.
During the Sharknado, the player is pelted mercilessly with Vampiric Megalodons ripped from the depths of the deepest oceans while the violent swirling winds protect Duke Fishron from many of Terraria’s legendary weapons. Yes, even the mighty North Pole will see its snowflakes swept away ineffectually. In addition, the Sharknado will easily pluck players from places of safety…especially the “pointy” ones.
Making matters worse, Duke Fishron believes in fair and balanced competition: the Tidal Moon and Duke Fishron will be scalable – so even having a team of stalwart compatriots will not avail you.
Duke Fishron possesses power far beyond what Terrarians have faced to-date, and we do not suspect everyone will be up to the challenge.
For those that fail, a slow death at the bottom of a watery abyss awaits – after all, sometimes evil wins.
Prepare now, for the Tidal Moon and the Days of Aquaria draw near!"
Here's another apparently "leaked" picture of the actual Boss battle itself.
I also found this picture which appears to be Beta tester's screen shot of some of the new monsters.
Beware, all this may be part of an elaborate April fools prank by the Developers.
The highly anticipated Console 1.2 update is to be released in (hopefully) a week from now. The only thing we have to wait for is conformation from Microsoft and Sony announcing that their bug checking is finished.
Here's the changelog/list of updates.
- You can no longer craft items or money by placing items in the trash
- You can no longer sell your gold to NPCs
- Music box/chest duping no longer works
- Bunnies/Goldfish spawned from statues no longer drop money during a Bloodmoon
- Active blocks will no longer become inactive with a chest on them
- Fixed a bug that would cause a suitable house to be unsuitable
- Crash bug where using Queen Statue would crash the game is fixed
- Crash bug where reading a sign or tombstone would crash the game is fixed
- Using Auto-Fill no longer puts coins in your chest
- Fixed vines not growing in underground jungle biomes
- Fixed highlight bugs for music boxes and timers
- Fixed Dirt Rod bug
- Fixed Fairy Bell timer bug where timer would display 59 seconds
- Fixed Death Messages bug where it would only show the player name
- You can no longer create unlimited boxes by creating ice blocks
- Fixed a bug where Stained Glass would not count as a valid wall for NPC housing
- Fixed a bug with Ocram’s hit box
- Ocram’s Souls of Blight no longer fall to the floor
- Fixed the “hidden” inventory slot bug (Vita only)
- Touch controls are now disabled when using the Magic Mirror (Vita only)
- Fixed a bug where NPC flags would not reposition when zooming (Vita only)
- Fixed a bug with the “Back for Seconds” Trophy/Achievement
- Fixed a bug where 1.2 armors would not count towards a trophy
- Fixed a bug where you could obtain a trophy during the tutorial
- Players now have an option to choose how the Gravitation Potion behaves: Flip the world, or flip the character.
- Players now have an option to turn off back touch (Vita only)
- Map data is now saved locally for visited Multiplayer worlds
- Multiplayer packet size has been further optimized
- Multiplayer stability has been improved
- Texture compression has been improved
Mechanics and Gameplay:
- Some items now stack to 999 or to 99 including ores and buckets (as per PC 1.2.3.)
- The starting female clothes have been modified
- There are several new hairstyles
- Chest sizes have been doubled
- You no longer need to jump to ascend single blocks
- The hammer is now used for creating slopes, halftiles, and breaking walls only
- The axe is now only used for chopping down trees and giant mushrooms
- Pickaxes will now remove blocks, placeable objects, and items such as Life Crystals and chests
- You can now paint any solid tile or item
- Dye slots have been added
- You will now start with 10 mana
- You can now craft early game magic robes and staves
- Bricks, wood, stone and glass all now blend together
- Mana Crystals only require 5 fallen stars to craft, down from 10
- If water touches a halftile it will create a waterfall
- Your world has a chance to get alternative ore as a replacement for copper, iron, silver, and gold
- Your world has a chance to have a replacement for the Corruption
- Your world has a chance to get alternative ores as a replacement for Cobalt, Mythril, and Adamantite
- Your world has a rare chance to have a pyramid or living tree spawn during world generation each containing their own loot table
- There is a new hardmode jungle temple
- There are now beehives that can be found in the jungle
- There are now several new backgrounds and tree variations your world has a chance to generate
- Water will now change color based on the biome you are in and depth underground
- Ropes are now found early game and can be used to craft rope coils for traversing the world
- Chains can now be placed and used as a rope mechanism
- Mushroom grass/seeds can now grow and spread above ground
- There are now 3 colors for wires
- Actuators can be used to make any solid tile active and inactive
- There is 1 new liquid type that can be found in the Jungle
- There are several new fountains that will change the color of water when they are placed nearby
- Pearlstone bricks no longer spread hallow
- Rain and blizzards have been added
- There is a new snow biome with unique treasures and items for normal and hardmode
- Enemies no longer trigger underground pressure plates
- There are new pressure plates that can only be triggered by certain things such as the player, enemies, or both
- Clowns will no longer blow up tiles
- There are several new buffs and debuffs
- There are now mini Capture the Gem addition to the game. You can craft large gems that draw a gem icon above the player holding the gem and if the player is killed the gem will be dropped next to their corpse
- There are 2 new hardmode events
- Werewolf form has been buffed and can take place every night
- Broken armor debuff only lasts 2 minutes, down from 5
- You now use a pickaxe to remove armor from a mannequin
- Players no longer take double damage in pvp
- Items of the same type will now stack when next to each other
- You can no longer become invincible when touching fire blocks
- Increased speed at which you can buy stacks of things
- The Halloween seasonal event has been added
- The Pumkin Moon event has been added
- Certain weapon damage stats have been adjusted to match the PC 1.2.3. update
- Certain drop rates have been adjusted to match the PC 1.2.3. update (like Keymolds)
- Cost for reforging has been adjusted to match the PC 1.2.3. update (cheaper prices)
- The sun is now brighter
- Midnight is now darker
- The sky has a smooth gradient
- There are several items that have had graphical upgrades such as gems, colored torches, Minishark, Muramasa, Aqua Scepter, Starfury, etc...
- There are now stalagmites, icicles, moss, plants, rocks, and other "piles" added to enhance the environment
- There are several new mini caves that can be found with unique backgrounds
- Each biome will now have chests and pots with unique graphics
- The dungeon now has 3 unique textures/colors and furniture
- Hell houses have been remodeled
- Floating islands have been remodeled
- Each biome will now have unique textures and wood types:
- Corruption: Ebonwood
- Jungle: Rich Mahogany
- Crimson: Shadewood
- Hallow: Pearlwood
- Each brick now has its own unique texture
- Each brick wall now has its own unique texture
- Torches are now animated and can be placed on walls
- There are several new tombstones
- Titan, Spectral and Dragon armors now have unique sprites
- Most console-exclusive enemies now have unique sprites
- Tizona and Tonbogiri now have unique sprites
- In total there are over 1,000 new items
- There are 10 new ores
- There are 4 new wood types
- There are 31 new brick types
- You can now imbue melee weapons
- There are several new arrow and bullet types
- There are several new crafting stations
- There are several new wands used for crafting new bricks and brick walls
- You can now craft bricks, walls, and furniture out of several new materials:
- Slime, Bone, Mushroom, Living wood, Flesh, Silt, and many more!
- You can now craft Jester Arrows
- There are 12 new wing types
- There are several new vanity sets
- There are a lot of new rare drops added to enemies
- There is an item in hardmode that allows you to change biomes
- There is an item in hardmode that allows you to increase your max health
- There are 29 new tinker combinations
- Several new items have been added to the game that are used for crafting dyes
- Starfury now acts as a melee weapon and has had its damaged increased
- Aqua Scepter has been redesigned and does slightly more damage for less mana
- Water bolt has been redesigned and does slightly more damage
- Vilethorn does more damage and uses less mana
- Magic Daggers have been buffed
- All of the old classic armors can be found as rare drops and have the same stats as their current counterparts and count towards set bonuses
- Items that were called dyes previously for crafting have been changed to thread
- Chests now have larger loot tables
- You can now make picks instead of drills and axes instead of chainsaws in late game tiers
- Increased the drop rate of souls
- Ocram now drops more souls
- There are over 50 paintings that can be collected randomly throughout the world
- Jungle armor no longer requires gems
- Ocram’s spawn item’s recipe requires fewer ingredients
- Titan, Spectral and Dragon armor require fewer ingredients
- Sparkly Wings are now much easier to craft
- The amount of meteorite required for crafting has been decreased
- Meteorite armor has more defense and does more damage
- Silt and slush can be extracted into useful materials, items, and money
- Each boss has a rare chance to drop a placeable boss trophy
- Hooks can now be crafted out of gems
- Depth meter is no longer craftable
- Stars can now be crafted with bottles to make a new light source
- Floating island chests no longer require a key
- Gems and bars can be placed
- Items made from hellstone now require less hellstone
- Almost all enemies (including console-exclusive enemies) have a chance to drop a banner
- Console-exclusive Pet items now drop off enemies
- There are 8 new friendly NPCs
- There are 4 new bosses
- There are over 100 new enemies
- Friendly NPCs will sell different items depending on certain conditions such as time of day or biome they are living in
- Hardmode bosses have a chance to spawn on their own to help players progress through the game
- Current hardmode bosses now do slightly less damage and have had their health decreased
- There is a rare spawn mini boss that can be found during blizzards in the above ground ice biome
- There are over 15 new pets that can be found in chests and dropped rarely off enemies
- Early hardmode enemies now do less damage and have less health/defense.
- Skeletron can now be summoned and has a small loot table
- Console versions do not have 10 additional inventory slots
- The Coin Gun is not (yet) implemented due to a different currency handling in the console versions causing the Coin Gun to randomly shoot coins of any value.
- Some of the console exclusive music has stayed the same.
505 Games has not annouced any progress in the Hardmode update for Mobile as of yet. Keep on waiting faithful Mobile Terrarians. ;_;
Poll of the week
Best Creation/Pixel art of the week
Check out this awesome Temple style NPC home in the Jungle Biome posted by Squazzil.
If you want me to showcase your Creations/Pixel art in Issue 2 of The Terrarian Bugle just let me know at my talkpage. :)
Exclusive interview with a member of this Wiki
Today I got the chance to interview a real cool dude named Koburo. :D Here's our interview.
TerrariamcSwaggins: Hello! How are you doing?
Koburo:I'm doing fine, thanks.
TerrariamcSwaggins: Alright, so we'll start with: What is your favorite Boss in Terraria and why?
Koburo: Well, I like the Wyvern very much, but since it is a Miniboss, I think I'll go with Skeletron Prime since he was a major challenge for me. I love his sprite with all the arms and gadgets, quite awesome.
TerrariamcSwaggins: Cool man, so what is favorite/main weapon?
Koburo: I tend to change between a lot of weapons, but I believe the best for me is the Death Sickle.
TerrariamcSwaggins: I agree the Death sickle is a very potent weapon. How long have you been playing Terraria for?
Koburo: I think I started to play the game in December 8, 2012
TerrariamcSwaggins: Wow, so you've been around for quite a while. What is your favorite thing to do in Terraria? Boss fighting, Build, Exploring, etc?
Koburo: I really love building houses, especially in Floating Islands. I love adding biome specific vegatation, decorative themes, painted grass, etc to my Floating Island buildings. I do also enjoy fighting Bosses but I think Building is the best for me.
TerrariamcSwaggins: Interesting, Final question, what would you rate yourself at Terraria out of 10?
Koburo: I think 5 or 6, because even with the greatest weapons, acessories and armors I still keep dying in the Frost Moon...
TerrariamcSwaggins: Alright, I think that wraps things up. Thank you so much for this. :D
Koburo: It was an honor.
Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed the first issue of The Terrarian Bugle. Remember, if you have any ideas whatsoever just let me know at my talkpage and I’ll see if I can add it in. Your ideas is what is gonna (hopefully) make this new series awesome. :D
If you want your picture in next week's Creation/Pixel art section just hit me up at my talkpage.
Thanks for reading guys and let me know what you thing in the comments below.
Have a nice weekend and I'll see you next week. :D