Hello Terrarians! Welcome to the fifty-sixth issue of The Terrarian Bugle! Today we have lots of news to report on, so enjoy that! Following that, we'll conduct our normal weekly events, and then jump into a brief, one part series; a complete showcasing of 652Graystripe's sprites!
News & Spoilers
Brief synopsis of the following articles:
- Terraria:Otherworld spoiler image.
- Latest 1.3 Hotfix News.
- Mobile Update News.
- Mac & Linux Open Beta Announcement.
- Imminent Wii U and 3DS release.
Loki recently posted yet another spoiler for the upcoming Terraria:Otherworld!
"Hot off the presses, we wanted to share how work on Terraria: Otherworld continues heating up! Take a peek at the latest version of the new “Core” Biome. Watch your step when exploring this inferno – we wouldn’t want you to get hot under the collar…."
Latest 1.3 Hotfixes - Jul 21st
18.104.22.168 is now live for the PC version of Terraria!
Here is the changelog:
- Solar Flare armor set Dash ability now only consumes flares when it hits an enemy, and any hit enemy will result in a Solar Radiance explosion!
- Party Girl's spawning chance has been increased
- You can now take Camera Mode pictures of wiring if you hold a mechanical item while taking the pictures
- Fixed certain issues with the Stardust Dragon's damage and rebalanced him to be more in line with other minions
- You can now hide the Moon Charm and Neptune Shell's effects...or put them in vanity!
- The final boss' attacks now use their own cooldown for immunity due to how naughty some of our players have been. ;)
- Potentially fixed lag issues when using Steam multiplayer
- Potentially fixed invasions not trigerring when they should (Martian Probes)
- Fixed Money Trough turning 'Quick Stack to All Chests' button invisible
- Fixed Javelins drawing behind doors on all cases
- Fixed Keys of Light / Night not working through autopause
- Fixed nearby crafting stations not updating when you open inventory in autopause
- Fixed 'allow mounting' check not taking player's velocity into account (mounting into ceiling exploit)
- Fixed breathing meter appearing when hanging on to a ceiling that has water in it
- Fixed content files not being compressed
- Fixed Umbrella art not being consistent
- Fixed Solar Eruption item stray pixel
- Fixed Jellyfish expert mode counter hitting you when you can't hit the Jellyfish
- Fixed Drill Containment Unit being able to mine Demon Altars before Hardmode
- Fixed certain Penguins not counting towards the tally
- Fixed Dryad not selling Vicious Powder during the Bloodmoon on Crimtane worlds
- Fixed issue where Shroomite and Psycho Knife stealth would work on mounts
- Fixed issue where Martian Probe would trigger Martian Invasion clientside
- Fixed Cultist Boss summoning issues in multiplayer
Mobile Terraria News Update - Jul 21st
In a recent Mobile update news post, 505 Games states:
"We will be releasing a rather large set of fixes and balancing changes within the next several weeks for all platforms - including Windows Phone and Amazon Appstore (more on that in a second). The changelog for these changes - compared to the current App Store (iOS)/Google Play builds - is listed below for your information. We worked alongside Re-Logic to drive a lot of these changes (thanks guys!), and we are confident they will enhance Terraria on mobile to a noticeable degree. We have additional plans in the queue - along with continuing to find and fix bugs/issues - that we will share at a later date.
Windows Phone and Amazon Appstore players - we wanted to take a second out to speak directly to you. We know you have waited a long time for all of these fixes and tweaks that have been rolling out of late to App Store (iOS) and Google Play players. This was an unfortunate side effect of the fast and furious pace with which we have been trying to gather and fix bugs, rebalance, etc. coupled with the varying submission processes and requirements across platforms - we were stuck in a catch-22 with either staggered rollouts or waiting until we had one big list to push through all at once. We chose the latter - now the great news is that the fixes below (coupled with all of the earlier fixes for the other platforms) will be submitted at the same time. In full transparency, this still likely means a few weeks lag for you guys - based on those submission processes - but it IS coming your way.
This will bring Terraria back to feature parity across all mobile platforms prior to the 1.2.3-4 content update."
Here is the changelog for this update:
- Balance changes
- Day and night cycles are now longer once entering hardmode (same length as PC)
- Day and night cycles are now longer when an event is happening (eclipse, pumpkin moon and all invasions)
- Enemies overall are stronger than before
- Bloodmoon is more aggressive, spawning more enemies
- Eye of cthulhu has been slightly nerfed, does a little bit less damage in phase 2.
- Servants of cthulhu have a high chance to drop a recovery heart.
- Goblin invasions are more likely to spawn in pre-hardmode and less likely in hardmode
- Queen Bee has been buffed (more health, slightly higher defense and damage)
- Lihzahrd temple traps can now only be mined using the picksaw
- Lihzahrd power cell drop chance increased from 1% to 2%
- Golem has more defense
- Meteors are now slightly smaller in size, causing less destruction.
- The Solar Eclipse event now has a higher chance to spawn (over time)
- Mushroom Spear buy price has been changed to 70 gold
- Cutlass has been slightly nerfed (does less damage)
- The Pumpkin Moon event has been buffed
- Changed the starting items, now a player starts with a wooden broadsword instead of a copper broadsword
- Feature Fixes
- Auto aim has been improved
- Auto aim is now available when playing with a controller (ie Fire TV and Moga)
- Zooming is disabled as long as you are using a virtual joystick, hopefully causing less accidental zoom-ins.
- Player now emits a dark blue light
- Added extra fast crafting, will now craft multiples after ~5 seconds
- Rope climbing has been improved
- Jumping has been improved
- Quick Grapple has been improved (quick grapple: slide from center of the screen to a direction, it automatically uses a grappling hook in your inventory)
- Smart Cursor has been improved
- Tweaked the way recipes are discovered. Discovery of crafting stations are made faster, thus allowing easier access to advanced crafting items.
- Tweaked the way biomes get recognized, resulting in better biome switches
- Minor Changes taken from PC 1.3
- Chlorophyte is able to turn corrupted/bloody grass into grass and dirt into mud
- Sunflowers give off light during the night
- Pinky now has a higher chance to drop the slime staff
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed bug where waterfall animations were twice as fast as intended
- Fixed bug where Ice Bats would drop Staff of Frost
- Fixed bug where the minimap would not display the correct colors
- Fixed bug where Heart Crystals would give off the incorrect sounds when struck
- Fixed bug with Smart Cursor where it would not go by default to the tree center
- Fixed bug where ranged weapons would fire too slowly
- Fixed bug where the player's shirt was incorrectly rendered
- Fixed bug where placing torches would instantly destroy them
- Smart Cursor no longer breaks torches and ropes
- Armor no longer should auto equip into vanity slots upon crafting
- Fixed bug where Cursed Sapling was not being dropped by Mourning Wood
- Fixed bug where Pirate Captain, when killed, would show five heads as gore instead of body parts
- Fixed bug where NPC icons on the minimap would be really small
- Fixed bug where the Pirate Map would drop everywhere in the world. Now it can only be found near the sea
- Fixed bug where item stats would not correctly reset when switching tabs
- Jungle Temple Door is no longer breakable using dynamite
- Fixed bug where screen would flicker red when other players would receive damage in multiplayer
- Network code has been improved
- Fixed bug where Turtle Armor could instantly destroy the Dungeon Guardian
- Fixed crash bug related to putting chests on boulders
- Fixed a bug related to enemies and biome recognition - Plantera should no longer enrage while still in the jungle
- Fixed bug where Mannequins was not properly rendered
- Fixed crash related to MOGA controller support
- Fixed bug where, when a player had vanity items equiped, the shown defense was incorrect
- Fixed bug where goblin scout and king slime never meet the requirements to spawn
- Technical Fixes
- Searches faster for local network games (every 4 seconds instead of 10 seconds)
- Fixed memory leak on android devices
- Fixed small memory leak related to the display of NPC names
- Fixed issue where iCloud would backup too many files
(PC 22.214.171.124) Mac & Linux Open Beta - Jul 22nd
Navigate here to view the full thread, which includes the instructions to access the beta that are not presented here.
In a recent post revealing the release of the open beta version of Terraria for Mac and Linux, Loki states:
"Hello there Terrarians!
We hope that you have enjoyed your first month with Terraria 1.3. The team has been hard at work - with your help - finding and smashing bugs, and we hope that we will be able to get to any that remain over the coming weeks so that everyone has the awesome gaming experience we intended. We are releasing Terraria 126.96.36.199 today - which adds support for our Mac/Linux Beta.
In parallel, as many of you know, a portion of the team - headed by Skiphs - has been pursuing the development of Terraria for Mac & Linux. Our initial plan was to have this out during the month of July. However, as we have delved deeper into these ports - coupled with seeing how helpful the community can with finding issues/bugs - we have decided that we will conduct our first ever Open Beta around the Mac and Linux versions of Terraria!
Do note that this will not likely become our new "way" of primary testing. We figured this made a lot of sense given that there is no new content to hide (1.3 is already out), and there are simply more Mac and Linux players in our community than we could try to pull together ourselves. So, we call on you - our amazing fans - to help us finish these out!
What do you say? Are you up to the task? If you think so, read on...."
Wii U and 3DS release for Terraria Coming Soon - Jul 30th
Navigate here to view the full thread, which includes a Q&A that is not presented here.
In a recent announcement, 505 Games states:
"505 Games and Re-Logic are proud to be able to finally - and officially - confirm that Terraria will indeed be coming to the Nintendo Wii U and 3DS platforms! This represents a massive opportunity to bring Terraria to a whole new set of gamers whom may have never seen Terraria before - as well as a chance to explore what might be possible in the game with dual screen functionality. We hope you share in our excitement around the potential here!
Of course, we are well aware that there have been a number of rumors and leaked information around this from various sources - so, the way we figure it, we owe you a bit more to help make this announcement even more newsworthy! Also please note that any "release dates" given out were not official.
Here are some never before seen pictures of the packaging - and we will hope to bring you some screenshots that show off some of the new functionality in the weeks to come:
To close out our announcement, let's give you what you are all wondering - an estimate on release timing! Of course, you will have all seen various published dates based upon the earlier rumors/leaks. For the most part, these are guesses or estimates. We are sharing here today that the expected launch for Terraria on Wii U and 3DS will take place in early 2016!
We have a few more surprises in store for this coming Holiday season, but we will save those for another time. Join us in celebrating this move that will finally bring Terraria to all of the major gaming platforms!"
Poll of the week
This poll is based on what your favorite part of the Celestial Event is, enjoy!
Creation/Pixel art of the Week
This week we have one submission! It is UltimaTech's natural element-themed NPC base!
(Note: To view the full, HD version of the image, click on it!)
This week will be a brief, one part showcasing of 652Graystripe's sprites! Enjoy!
Announcements and Shoutouts
- There is an extremely important discussion regarding the potential reversal of the individual page project. Be sure to have a look!
- There is a new blog regarding changes to the category system, so be sure to have a look!
- Interested in contributing to the wiki for 1.3? Be sure to have a look here for some helpful tips!
Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed the fifty-sixth issue of The Terrarian Bugle. Remember, if you have any ideas whatsoever, just let me know at my talk page and I’ll see if I can add it in. If you want your creation in next week's Creation/Pixel art section just hit me up at my talk page or talk to me in the live chat.
Thanks for reading, guys! Let me know what you think in the comments below.
Have a nice weekend and I'll see you next week. :D