|Use Time||15 (Very Fast)|
|Knockback||2.75 (Very Weak)|
|Quality||Tier 8 (Yellow)|
|Tooltip||Rapidly throw life stealing daggers.|
|Found In||Crimson Chest|
|This item cannot be crafted.|
They can be found in Crimson Chests, which can be found in the Dungeon. In order to open the chest, you will need a Crimson Key which can be obtained by using a Crimson Key Mold, a Temple Key, and 5 Souls of Fright, Might, and Sight. You will obtain the mold by killing monsters in The Crimson after Hard Mode has been enabled for your world. The drop rate for these key molds is 1:2500. Because Vampire Knives cannot have a prefix that increases their size, their best prefix is Godly. The knives do not go forever, when standing still, the knives will spin and fade just outside the screen.
A portion (~7%) of the damage dealt will be returned as health to the user. The knives can hit multiple enemies or hit a single large enemy multiple times. You will throw 4-8 vampire knives at a time. For example:
- One of the Knives hit your enemy and deals 90 damage, but 7% of this damage (i.e., 6) is returned to you as HP. This permits effective invincibility, due to constant healing — as long as you continue to throw the Knives. They are capable of healing almost all damage inflicted to you fairly quickly.
- Due to their healing effect, the Vampire Knives are an extremely effective weapon against Bosses.
- Healing is not activated in PvP combat.
- With full Turtle armour and a avenger Emblem, Godly Vampire Knives will do upwards of 40 damage.
The knives have a huge, and seemingly random spread, making aiming them all very difficult. Despite this, it's fairly easy to survive most encounters and out-heal any damage you may receive. Especially from bosses, where the lifestealing properties of this weapon can be seen in full effect.
However, continued use of the knives can be extremely disorienting with all that's going onscreen. It can be difficult to discern where enemy projectiles or ranged attacks may be, and you could die from not being able to see your avatar among the knife storm and healing beams while they are dealing damage.
- The knives can be thrown through walls that are only a block thick as long as the player is pushing against the wall.
- The Vampire Knives do not have a size; thus, the best possible prefix is "Godly".
- The knives will fly straight for a given time, and then start to spin in the air (still moving forward).
- This weapon is likely a reference to Dio Brando from JoJo's Bizzare Adventure; a time-stopping vampire who throws knives in an identical fashion. Specifically, this is much like Shadow Dio's knife throw from the arcade fighter of the same name, whose knives fan out in a manner similar to this weapon.
- The Vampire Knives may alternately be a reference to Sakuya Izayoi from the popular Japanese series of games Touhou Project, first appearing in the 6th game, The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. Sakuya serves a vampire, Remilia Scarlet, and is capable of throwing torrents of knives due to her ability to stop time. Many fans also believe that Sakuya herself is a reference to Dio Brando.
- Slightly nerfed damage, use time, life steal, and knockback.
- Added to the game.